r Mountain Times - Lead
   
  Your Mountain,
 Your Newspaper
· Home ·  Classifieds · Columnists · Events · Gallery · Opinion ·
· Local Links · Story Archives · Tell A Friend · Contact Us ·
 
Pic of the month

Main Menu
· Home
· Classifieds
· Columnists
· Event Calendar
· Gallery
· Lead Stories
· Tell A Friend
· View from the mountain

Who's Online
There are currently, 19 guest(s) and 0 Staff Online.

Search for stories containing:
District's summer program helps students make up for lost time posted on 07/01/2022

Students from throughout the Oregon Trail School District (OTSD) will have a chance to further their learning, including earning credits for high school students, through the district’s free summer academy program.

Kendra Payne, Principal of Welches Schools, noted that there will be traditional core subjects, such as math, in addition to high interest classes on other subjects, including courses for high school students such as the literature of Stephen King and Neil Gaiman, Archetypes in Film, Light Vehicle Maintenance, Shakespeare in Film, Mixed Media Painting, Unlocking Mystery, Soccer Skills and Conditioning and Grid Weave Drawing.

“It’s just really fun, different classes; things to keep kids engaged and learning,” Payne said, noting that there are a lot of students from the Welches Schools who will participate in the academy.

The academy consists of two different three-week sessions, while including bus service and food for the students all at no charge.

OTSD Communications Director Julia Monteith noted that the program is funded by two grants from the Oregon Department of Education (Summer K-8 Enrichment Grant and Summer High School Academic Support Grant), which covers 80 percent of the costs, and the Federal Elementary & Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) fund providing the remaining 20 percent.

The academy is open to currently enrolled students of the OTSD (incoming kindergarten students are not eligible), and classes will be held at Sandy Grade School (38955 Pleasant Street in Sandy), Cedar Ridge Middle School (17100 Bluff Road in Sandy) and Sandy High School (37400 Bell Street in Sandy).

Payne noted that it is the second year for the program and that some art offerings will be part of the Right Brain Initiative, an arts integration to help students link learning from one area to others.

“It’s great instruction; (students) just have some fun learning along with the traditional core subjects,” she said.

Monteith reported that the first session is full, but there are still some openings for middle and high school students in the second session, beginning Monday, Aug. 1. There is also a wait list for elementary students, in case some spots open up.

The summer academy is not available as a remote option. For more information, visit https://www.oregontrailschools.com.

By Garth Guibord/MT

Weather

Advertisements


Information

Valid HTML 4.01!

Valid CSS!



 
All material ©2008 The Mountain Times and may not be reproduced/distributed in any form without written permission from the publisher.
CONTACT US: Garth Guibord, Editor/Publisher
The Mountain Times, PO Box 1031, Welches OR 97067 
garth@mountaintimesoregon.com 
ADVERTISING
Peggy Wallace, peggy@mountaintimesoregon.com



Web Site Design Precision Artists 
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.